Ethiopia is Africa's hidden gem. This enormous country offers a variety of magnificent nature experiences. And it holds a unique ethnic diversity of friendly and hospitable people, with a wide range of exotic and colourful religious and cultural traditions and practices.
The dry season runs from mid-September to May, during which only a little rain falls. The hot season begins in January and culminates with the arrival of the rainy season.
The country's infrastructure is undergoing rapid development these years. Old roads are under renovation. And by now the main roads from Addis Ababa, leading out to every corner of the country are paved with asphalt. Once you are outside the buzzing cities and reach the countryside, the traffic is limited.
The landscape is captivating and everchanging. It varies from breezy alpine mountain peaks to warm valleys, from savanna to tropical rainforest, and from wetlands to sizzling desert.
Ethiopia is a biking destination to be reckoned with. It offers many interesting possibilities, both for the tour biker, the well-trained and the elite cyclist, for road, gravel groinding and mountin biking.
1. Visitors get good value for money
2. And enjoy a high level of safety
3. New tarmac roads lead from the centre to the furthest corners of the country
4. For the gravel grinder, plenty of trails take you far into the remote countryside
5. Hotels span from high-class international standard to local guests houses
6. Visitors can easily fly between cities
7. The food is tasty and there are good options for vegans
8. The Ethiopians are friendly and hospitable people
9. Many speak English
10. Ethiopia is a mecca for coffee lovers
11. Ethiopia has eight sights on the UNESCO World Heritage List
12. The cultural variety is unique and vibrant – this includes the music
13. You can participate in an array of colorful cultural and religious festivals
14. The nature varies from low dessert, savanna and rain forest to alpine mountains
15. And it offers a range of unique geologic phenomenon
Did you know... ?
Once again Lonely Planet has awarded Ethiopia one of the best tourist destinations. This time among the top 10 countries to travel in 2017. Read on Lonely Planets web site.
In 2015 Ethiopia was awarded World's best travel destination among 31 candidates.
In 2013 Addis Ababa was awarded number nine out of the World's top ten cities to visit.
Coffee with salt and butter?
The Ethiopian coffee ceremony is a display of hospitality and respect.
Jabena bunna, the traditional coffee, is mostly served with sugar or even honey.
And in Gurage it is often served with salt, and sometimes with butter and ginger.
But whether you have it the traditional or the modern way, coffee is serious business in Ethiopia...